Sunday, July 7, 2013

Doggone It



    Just beyond Sibley's business district lay a city block square
grassy area called The Dog Park. I don't know why; dogs in those
days were not taken somewhere to romp with other canines and
fetch sticks or balls. Dogs had the run of the town-much to
my dismay.
    While I'm in awe of the varied animal kingdom throughout
the planet, I prefer all creatures great and small in their natural
habitat, which is to say not up close and personal with me. I'm
going out on a limb here to state that I'm not fond of dogs. I
don't fully trust them. I dislike being sniffed, slobbered on,
and clawed from feet to waist as the animal climbs my jeans
to say hello. I make no apology for these admissions. I have a
right to my wariness, as canine lovers do to their admiration
and fascination.
    Maybe it's because the dogs I encountered as a child did
not endear themselves to me. My earliest memory of being
frightened by a dog was in Ashton, so I would have been about
six. The dog belonged to two bachelors whose last name was
Gaster.
    Once when the family was coming to visit, the oldest child
said she couldn't wait to see my pets. What to do? I purchased
two fish, which Grace and her younger sister, Sarah, named
and fed while they were here. Goldie and Sunny had the usual
life expectancy of fish and were not replaced. By the next time
the kids visited, they'd forgotten about Granny's pets. Except
for thinking the gators in the pond out back were pets. One, we
named Snappy.
   Living here on Worlud Pond, with a woodland preserve
behind it, is like having the Discovery channel on a panoramic
screen. There are birds of prey: owls, hawks, eagles, vultures, and
osprey, and water birds of all kinds, including a lunatic limpkin
that screeches day and night. Sandhill cranes strut their stuff
in pairs or quartets, often with fuzzy chicks toddling behind. In
and around the pond are gators, turtles, otters, toads, snakes,
swamp bunnies, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, the ubiquitous
lizards, and a host of frogs that set up a mighty chorus than runs
from dusk to beyond midnight and from spring to fall. We've
seen a mother bobcat and two kittens, and coyotes have been
spotted. We've witnessed a gator take down a large bird or two.
A gator has, on occasion, wandered up to someone's front door
and we once saw one sitting by our mailbox by the road. Yes; we
waited before picking up the mail.
    Our first year here, Grace discovered a baby gator in the
water. She named it Flower Linnet. As babies are wont to do,
Flower had a growth spurt and, at about twelve feet in length,
became a nuisance. The gator wranglers arrived to cart her
away. Grace still believes that one of the many gators that have
come and gone since is Flower, her gator.
    After school and on weekends, Shirley and I played school;
we were the teachers and our younger brothers were the
students. Before long, though, real school and playing school
became boring. We moved on to other activities and plodded
along, awaiting Christmas vacation, and then Valentine's Day,
Easter vacation, and, finally, the last day of school.

   Report cards in hand, showing that we'd passed to the next
grade, we raced out the door, shouting, "School's out, school's
out; Teacher let the monkeys out. No more pencils, no more
books; no more teachers' dirty looks."
    Off we scrambled once again, helter-skelter into summer
fun: playing outside long after dark, picnics, the 4 th of July, and
the County Fair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment